The Local Offer
A guide to services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (known as the 'Local Offer').
It includes information for those 'in transition' between childhood and adulthood.
Preparing for Adulthood
For children and young people with a disability, transition is the change from being a teenager to being an adult, and from moving on from children's care services to adult's care services.
During this period, young people can experience changes in lots of areas of their lives. These changes may include:-
- leaving education
- thinking about starting a job or work experience
- changes to their state benefits and finances
- moving into new accommodation
- changes to health and medical services
- changes in any social care support
- changes to personal relationships.
It is a time when young people gain new rights and responsibilities. Transition can be an exciting time for young people, full of new opportunities. However it can also be a worrying time as young people move on from familiar people and places and face new challenges.
It is important that young people with disabilities and their parents and carers plan for transition.
- The Local Offer if you live in Hammersmith & Fulham
- The Local Offer if you live in Kensington and Chelsea
- The Local Offer if you live in Westminster