If you look after someone, you may be eligible to receive Carer's Allowance. This benefit is intended to help towards your costs of living when you are looking after someone.
Carer's Allowance is currently £66.15 per week (2019/20 rate). It is usually paid weekly but you can also ask for it to be paid up to 13 weeks in advance, which you may find helpful if you have expenses such as rent or bills that need to be covered in advance.
Eligibility for Carer's Allowance
You may be eligible for Carer's Allowance if you:
- are aged 16 or over and not in full-time education
- spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
- live in the UK
- have lived in the UK for at least 2 of the last 3 years
- are not in receipt of certain other benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance or Incapacity Benefit.
- are not working, or earn less than £123 a week after tax and anything to pay towards the care of the person you look after.
You can find more information about Carer's Allowance, and advice on how to claim it, at the gov.uk website.
If you need help completing the forms or have any questions, you can get advice from the Carer's Allowance Unit:-
Tel: 0800 731 0297
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Other information and advice
Carers UK has advice and information on benefits for carers, including Carer's Allowance.
Age UK provide additional information on the Carer's Allowance.
The following websites offers advice on benefits options for carers :
Full of Life’s Carers’ Advocacy Service provides independent practical support, advice and information in Social Care, Benefits, Health and Education for parent carers in Kensington and Chelsea. For more information about Full of Life's Carers Advocacy Service call 020 8962 9917 or Email email@example.com (Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, appointment only)