Skip to main content

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Information on this website is subject to change at short notice due to the current Covid-19 pandemic.

Please click here for information and advice about the current COVID-19 outbreak and how to get help from your council, as well as other sources of information and support. You can also offer to volunteer.

Support and advice for carers in Hammersmith and Fulham

Looking after an adult with a disability or health problems can be a tiring and stressful experience. The good news is that you don't need to struggle on alone - there are lots of organisations out there offering support to you as a carer, and you have legal rights which ensure that you will get the help you need.

Our section on Looking After Someone is full of information and advice to help you in your caring role, but on this page we have summarised the main things you need to know if you are a carer in Hammersmith & Fulham, including details of the organisations who can offer you help and advice.

Carers Network

The Carers Network are the first point of contact for adult carers living in Hammersmith & Fulham who need information or advice about being a carer.

You can also call their number to find out about being referred for a full carers' assessment to access regular packages of care such as respite breaks.

They have a good knowledge of carers' rights and services and where to get more specialist help if it is needed. They run many support groups and the drop-in information and advice groups.  They can also assist you to apply for one-off small grants to help you with your caring duties and to set up an emergency care plan.

They also have:

You can can see the full range of support available in your local area here.

Carers Network contact details

Tel: 020 8960 3033

Supporting you

If you are providing support to an adult with a disability or health problem you may well be entitled to complete a carer's assessment with your local council. This could pave the way for you to receive a wide range of support which will help you in your caring role.

Go to our page on Requesting a Carer Assessment to find out more.

Carer Personal Budgets

Following a carer's assessment you may be entitled to receive a Carer Personal Budget. This is a sum money which you can use to pay for support and activities which will help you to manage the demands of being a carer. 

Sharing your caring role with others can help reduce the pressure on you. The person you are looking after may be entitled to support from the council following an assessment of their support needs.

Alternatively you may want to make your own arrangements.

However you arrange the additional support for the person you look after our following pages may be of particular interest to you:-

Looking after an adult with care needs can take a toll on your finances - perhaps you have had to give up paid employment to carry out your caring role, or are facing additional heating or other costs.

You may find it useful to look at our section on Carer Benefits, and at our bigger section on Money and Legal matters, which provides advice on all kinds of financial issues.

Carers Network is committed to encouraging carers to gain confidence, make their own choices and support each other. Their vision is to support carers to support each other and lead their own groups. This way they ‘create’ a larger number of social meetings and events, reaching an increased number of carers and empower carers to peer support.

Open to all carers:

First Wednesday of every month, 2pm–4pm at St Paul’s Centre, Queen Caroline Street, W6 9PJ.

Carers of people with mental health issues:

In partnership with The Ellersie Centre. This group meets on the 2nd Wednesday of month from 11am-12:30pm at The Ellerslie Centre, 50 Ellerslie Road, W12 7BW

Carers of people with learning disabilities:

First Tuesday of every month, 11am–1pm at HF Mencap, 65 Aspenlea Rd, W6 8LH.

Carers of people with dementia:

This group is for carers of those looking after someone newly diagnosed with dementia and runs in partnership with the West London Mental Health Trust Cognitive Impairment and Dementia Service (CIDS).

The group of five sessions run on a Wednesday once a month from 10:30am-12pm and are at St Vincent’s House, 49 Queen Caroline Street, W6 9QH. For the dates of the next group of sessions please call 020 8960 3033 or email

Carer Drop-ins:

There are also other ways to access information, advice and support, like coming to one of these regular advice drop-ins (no appointment needed) at:

  • White City Community Centre, India Way W12 7QT, Thursdays, 10am – 1pm
  • Bishop Creighton House, 374-380 Lillie Road SW6 7PH, Fridays, 11am – 1pm

Visit the Carers Network calendar here

Looking after...

The Admiral Nurses provide information, practical advice and emotional support for people living in Hammersmith & Fulham who care for a relative or friend who has dementia.

As children with disabilities and health problems grow towards adulthood there are special arrangements in place to ensure that they are properly supported in meeting the challenges of adult life.

Our page on Young People In Transition will tell you what to expect, and from there you can find out about the services offered by Hammersmith & Fulham to support young adults with disabilities and health problems, and their parents / carers.

The Drug and Alcohol Wellbeing Service run by Turning Point & Blenheim offer advice and support for substance misuse issues for anyone aged 18+
Contact them by phone or email.
Phone: 0330 303 8080

The Alcohol Service run by CGL offers advice and support for those with issues around alcohol misuse for anyone aged 18+ within the 3 boroughs.
GP's, family members, carers and friends, or any other agency such as Social Services can refer someone into the service.
Contact them by phone or email.
Phone: 0800 014 7440

CGL have websites for each borough, please click on the links below;

The BME Carers and Families Forum aims to: 

  • share ideas and information
  • discuss carers' rights and learn about local support and activities available to them
  • provide an opportunity for training and developing new skills
  • meet with people in similar situation;
  • enable carers to gain support from multi-lingual staff and volunteers. 

The forum is open to carers or those whose family uses care services, and is free to join for the residents of Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster and Hammersmith & Fulham boroughs. 

For more information and to find out when the next forum takes place contact Midaye by phoning on tel 020 8969 7456 email

Your health and well-being

Taking a short break from your caring role can allow you to recharge your batteries and focus a bit more on yourself. 

If the person you look after has completed an assessment with your local council you may be entitled to support in taking a break - take a look at our pages on respite support, and on short breaks to support the carers of people with learning disabilities.

Looking after another adult can be an extremely stressful and emotionally draining experience. Sometimes it can be helpful to talk things over with someone outside of your circle family and friends.

Our page on Emotional Support For Carers gives details of some of the organisations out there who can offer you some emotional support.

And in our section on mental health you can find more information and advice on depression and anxiety.

Supporting someone who has a physical disability and, for example, struggles to stand up and move around independently, can be hazardous if you don't know the right techniques and don't have access to the right kinds of equipment.

Our page on Lifting and Handling gives advice to carers on how to look after someone safely, and on getting help if you have hurt yourself because of your caring role.

Having a demanding caring role does not necessarily mean that you cannot take on paid employment, or return to the education system, and you have legal rights which will support you to do this.

Go to our page on Balancing Caring and Education to find out more.

Looking after someone can put a strain on your health - your opportunities for going out, being active and taking some exercise may be limited. And your health may be affected if you are tired, or if you are having to carry out difficult physical care tasks. And if you are not feeling at your best then the caring role can become even more challenging.

There is information and advice on trying to stay healthy throughout People First, and particularly in our section on Taking Care Of Yourself.

Your local GP offers free health checks to people between 40 and 74, and can then give advice and support on living healthier lives.
If you want to arrange a health check then there are also various other options  - go to our page on NHS Health Checks to find out more.

If you want the opportunity to do some gentle, light exercise then our Events calendar is a good page to start.

And our section on Exercise and Sport gives details of local sports and other facilities.

Give yourself a break from your caring role, get out and about and meet people, and join in all sorts of fun activities. Our Events calendar includes a wide range of activities and events, including many which are provided especially for local carers. 

The CEA Cinema Card allows people with a disability to obtain an additional free ticket so that a carer can go with them to the cinema.


Hammersmith & Fulham have produced a leaflet called Carers and the Care Act.

Carers UK is a charity set up to help the millions of people who look after an older, disabled or seriously ill family member or friend. They provide information, advice and support for carers. Their website also has a discussion forum where people can talk to others who know what they are going through, support each other, and share ideas.

The Independent Age website provides a guide called Caring for someone : How to get the support you need.

Their NHS Healthy Ageing Guide provides information and advice to carers about staying healthy whilst caring and identifies the support available to help carers maintain their health and wellbeing.

Hammersmith and Fulham Mind offer information, advice and support for people with mental issues and their carers.

Age UK Hammersmith & Fulham offers advice and support to local older people and their carers.

The Citizens Advice Bureau in Hammersmith & Fulham offer practical, up-to-date information and advice on a wide range of topics, including; debt, benefits, housing, legal, discrimination, employment, immigration, consumer and other problems.

The Money Advice Service offers free information and advice on a wide range of financial issues.

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) provide a database of qualified and approved financial advisors who specialise in giving advice on finances in later life, enabling you to plan ahead or to make the most of your money once you reach retirement and older age.

Adfam provides publications and information about carers' groups specifically for carers affected by substance misuse.

Families Anonymous is a world wide fellowship of relatives and friends of people involved in the abuse of mind-altering substances, or with related behavioural problems.