Skip to main content

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Information on this website is subject to change at short notice due to the current Covid-19 pandemic.

Please click here for information and advice about the current COVID-19 outbreak and how to get help from your council, as well as other sources of information and support. You can also offer to volunteer.

Other benefits

As well as the benefits listed in the left-hand menu there are various other state benefits to which you may be entitled, depending on your circumstances (For full details of all existing state benefits click here.

Some of the other benefits to which you might be entitled are:

Universal Credit

Universal credit has been brought in as part of the reform of the benefits system, rolling together six benefits into one benefit paid monthly to claimants

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Whether you can claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your circumstances.

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time.

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. You do not need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances.

For more information on Universal Credit, or how to apply for it, click here.

The following are benefits which will be phased out as the roll out of Universal Credit completes.

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) is a weekly payment to help you while you look for work. How much you get depends on your circumstances and the type of JSA you qualify for. To qualify for JSA you usually have to be 18 or over (but below State Pension age), able and available for work when you apply for JSA. You must go to an interview to complete your claim. For more information on Job Seekers Allowance and how to apply click here

Income Support is extra money you may be able to get if:

  • you have no income or a low income
  • you're working less than 16 hours a week
  • you haven't signed on as unemployed

You must meet specific conditions to get Income Support. The actual amount you get depends on your circumstances

For more information on Income Support and how to apply click here 

If you're ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you:

  • financial support if you're unable to work
  • personalised help so that you can work if you're able to

You can apply for ESA if you're employed, self-employed or unemployed. You might be transferred to ESA if you've been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit. For more information on ESA and how to apply click here 

You can go to our Claiming all of your benefits page for information on how to get support in claiming all of the benefits to which you are entitled.

Age UK offer additional information on the following benefits:-

Disability Rights UK provide various work-related fact-sheets with advice on finding a job, and on claiming the right benefits if you are out of work or on a low income.