Engagement Opportunity with CNWL NHS Foundation Trust
Are you receiving or have you received support from a Mental Health ‘Crisis Team’ in Brent, Harrow, Hillingdon, Kensington & Chelsea or Westminster?
Are you interested in improving adult crisis care (sometimes called ‘urgent and emergency’ care)?
CNWL are looking for Experts-by-experience Advisors and Expert-by-experience Carer Advisors to join their project team!
What is the project about?
Good quality crisis care is an important part of a patient journey. It is widely acknowledged that
crisis care needs to be responsive and therapeutic. Care also needs to be available at the right
time in the right place to support the best possible experience and try to reduce the need for
future urgent care, or admissions.
Over the past ten years, crisis services have gone through a lot of change. Work must be done with staff and users of the service to make sure they are happy with the care they are providing and receiving.
The aim of the project is to define the offer of crisis and acute care to ensure:
- Service users most in need of care are able to receive it
- Service users can receive the right care at the right time in the least restrictive setting (ideally in their own homes/in the community)
- Service users receive evidenced based interventions to help promote their recovery
Who will be involved in the project?
CNWL hope the project team will be made up of the following people:
- Divisional Medical Director
- Crisis and Home Treatment Team Leads
- Single Point of Access and Acute care leads
- Expert-by-experience Advisor(s)
- Expert-by-experience Carer Advisor(s)
- Borough Director
- Borough Clinical Director
- Project Manager
Why they are recruiting Experts-by-Experience and Expert-by-experience Carer Advisors?
CNWL believes that service improvement projects are much more likely to be successful if people who have experience of using services and people who have experience of caring for those who have used services are as involved as much as possible. Involving expert by experience and carers means they can:
- Make sure the project is relevant to the everyday experience ofservice users and carers
- Check we are not missing important concerns and new ideas;
- Increase the chances of our interventions and research findings being effective in practice;
- Provide opportunities for shared learning and personal development
What would be expected of me?
The Project Team meet every 4-6 weeks depending on need. The team would meet in Central London. You would be expected to attend these meetings and contribute to discussions. It is likely that your input will be required until at least March 2020 and we would hope that you can start attending project meetings from September 2019.
Who can be involved?
Expert-by-experience Advisors - The Team are looking for individuals who have received (within the last 2 years or so) or are currently receiving treatment from any urgent/acute crisis team including crisis response and home treatment teams (CRHTTs) in Brent, Harrow, Hillingdon, Kensington & Chelsea or Westminster.
Expert-by-experience Carer Advisors – They are looking for individuals who have cared for, or are currently caring for, an individual who has received treatment in the last 2 years or so from any urgent/acute crisis team including crisis response and home treatment teams (CRHTTs) in Brent, Harrow, Hillingdon, Kensington & Chelsea or Westminster. They think this project will appeal to those who:
- have an interest or concern arising from direct and indirect experience of using urgent/crisis and acute mental health services;
- are interested in improving the care for people who have mental health problems
What will I get out of being involved?
CNWL believe everyone has an individual set of skills and experience that they bring to this work; The Team also believe that there can be benefits for everyone who gets involved these include:
- Re-discovering and learning new skills and knowledge;
- Personal development;
- Increased confidence;
- Improved employability
- New relationships.
CNWL will also offer a payment of £10.00 per hour and travel expenses will be reimbursed.
How do I get involved?
There are limited spaces on the project team. However it may be that they have many people
wanting to get involved. To help The Team select those that are best for the role they are asking
interested individuals to send in a very short statement stating:
- Why you are interested in the project;
- What experiences, skills or interests you have that you think would contribute tothe success of the project;
- What additional support, if any, you may need to participate.
The statement does not have to be a perfect piece of writing or be very formal, like a job application - they are interested in what you are able to bring to the work.
Please send your expression of interest by Friday 23rd August 2019
Via email to – email@example.com
Via Post to:
CNWL Patient involvement Team
350 Euston Square
Dependant on the numbers interested you may then be asked to meet in person to discuss your application.