Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Home
Operation Bumblebee Burglary Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Home
Help yourself ...Or, They'll help themselves
Help us keep your home and property secure, by following our 10 top tips.
Bumblebee Burglary Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Home
Help us keep your home secure by following our 10 top tips:
- Don't leave your keys or ID documents within easy reach of doors, letterboxes or windows.
- Close and lock all doors and windows. If you have multilocking door handles, lift the handle, lock it with the key and remove it. Remember - LIFT - LOCK - REMOVE. Put the key in a safe place out of sight in case of fire.
- Lock garages and sheds so garden tools and ladders can't be used to break into your home.
- Keep side gates locked and wheelie bins stored behind them.
- Use timer switches linked to lights and a radio so it appears that someone is at home.
- Invest in a safe for valuables and sentimental items and securely fix it to a solid surface.
- Install a visible intruder alarm system - burglars don't want to be seen or heard.
- Install low level 'dusk till dawn' lighting to increase visibility and deter burglars.
- Keep side and rear boundaries high to restrict access and front boundaries low to remove hiding places.
- Photograph and mark valuables and sentimental items with your postcode and house number/name. Register items with serial numbers at: www.immobilise.com
For more help and advice visit www.metbumblebee.org or go to your local police station. If you need police after a burglary call 101.